This is an old revision of the document!
Panel changes related to the deskbar-mode:
- panel&plugin “orientation” property has been replaced with “mode” property. There are three modes now: horizontal, vertical and deskbar. Old “orientation” property is still available so that plugins which were not ported to 4.9+ see vertical and deskbar modes as vertical orientation.
- an “nrows” panel&plugin property has been added. This allows arranging some plugins (launchers etc.) in multiple rows. This property is also used by some other “fullsize” plugins to determine their layout. Eg. button size in the tasklist is set to panel_size/nrows.
- a “small” plugin property has been added. Plugins that set this property to TRUE will be allocated inside a single row. With small=FALSE (default) they will be allocated the full width of the panel.
- row wrapping (separator in a “wrap” mode) has been removed (replaced with “nrows”)
- master branch: http://git.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-panel/log/
- andrzejr/deskbar2 branch: http://git.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-panel/log/?h=andrzejr/deskbar2 (includes additional changes to the core plugins described below)
Changes to the panel and core plugins in andrzejr/deskbar2 (pending review):
- changed semantics of “small” property – itembar implementation from the master branch performs additional checks whether the plugin is really “small”. These check don't work well with external plugins (layout artefacts during panel resizing). Besides, IMHO it's the plugin designer responsibility to respect the allocated size (that's a convention for any Gtk widgets).
- clock plugin has been adapted to 4.9+ panels. The changes were kept fairly minimum in order to make it behave as similar to the existing clock plugin as possible.
- action buttons plugin has been adapted to 4.9+ panels. Ditto. In this case it could be benefitial to change its behavior a bit deeper but that would have to be discussed first.
- launcher plugin has a fix for a bug introduce/uncovered by the change #1.
- sytray plugin has been adapted to 4.9+ panels. Its layout has been reworked more deeply. All the icons are now placed in a square grid, which simplifies the code a lot and hopefully removes some long-standing bugs. This change was required in order to add support for non-square icons in all three panel modes.
- pager changes are now in progress. The pager has been adapted to 4.9+ panel but some libwnck changes are required. In particular, the current workaround for a wrong pager aspect ratio in the deskbar mode is known to break D&D. Also, in the final release we want to move settings for the number of workspace rows out of the pager (this also requires libwnck change). Note that even if the libwnck changes will be added in time for the 4.10 release, only users of the newest libwnck version will benefit from these fixes, older libwnck versions will be supported but no workarounds will be provided.
Changes to other (non-core) plugins:
- orage – patch: https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8351
- xfce4-mixer – patch: https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8350
- thunar (trash can plugin) – https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8391
- xfce4-dict – patch: https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8502
- xfce4-battery-plugin – patch: https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8393
xfce4-calculator-plugin– incompatible by design (text entry is always horizontal)
- xfce4-cellmodem-plugin – couldn't compile
- xfce4-clipman-plugin – patch: https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8403
- xfce4-cpufreq-plugin – patch: https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8396
- xfce4-cpugraph-plugin – patch: https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8400 (compatible but has a bug showing up during panel mode switching)
- xfce4-datetime-plugin – patch: https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8355
- xfce4-diskperf-plugin –patch: https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8401
xfce4-embed-plugin – patch: https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8402DONE
- xfce4-eyes-plugin – patch: https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8404 (compatible but has a bug showing up during panel mode switching)
- xfce4-generic-slider – patch: https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8503
xfce4-screenshooter-plugin – http://git.xfce.org/apps/xfce4-screenshooter/commit/?id=5620dbdd96a35f78477f924b281fc645511ff5b4DONE
xfce4-verve-plugin– incompatible by design (text entry is always horizontal)
xfce4-xfapplet-plugin– can't be fixed, plugin orientation hardcoded in underlying gnome applets
- DID I MISS ANY PLUGINS???