This is an old revision of the document!
Panel changes related to the deskbar-mode:
- panel&plugin “orientation” property has been replaced with “mode” property. There are three modes now: horizontal, vertical and deskbar. Old “orientation” property is still available so that plugins which were not ported to 4.9+ see vertical and deskbar modes as vertical orientation.
- an “nrows” panel&plugin property has been added. This allows arranging some plugins (launchers etc.) in multiple rows. This property is also used by some other “fullsize” plugins to determine their layout. Eg. button size in the tasklist is set to panel_size/nrows.
- a “small” plugin property has been added. Plugins that set this property to TRUE will be allocated inside a single row. With small=FALSE (default) they will be allocated the full width of the panel.
- row wrapping (separator in a “wrap” mode) has been removed (replaced with “nrows”)
- master branch: http://git.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-panel/log/
- andrzejr/deskbar2 branch: http://git.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-panel/log/?h=andrzejr/deskbar2 (includes additional changes to the core plugins described below)
Changes to the panel and core plugins in andrzejr/deskbar2 (pending review):
changed semantics of “small” property – itembar implementation from the master branch performs additional checks whether the plugin is really “small”. These check don't work well with external plugins (layout artefacts during panel resizing). Besides, IMHO it's the plugin designer responsibility to respect the allocated size (that's a convention for any Gtk widgets).Added to the master branch. clock plugin has been adapted to 4.9+ panels. The changes were kept fairly minimum in order to make it behave as similar to the existing clock plugin as possible.Added to the master branch. action buttons plugin has been adapted to 4.9+ panels. Ditto. In this case it could be benefitial to change its behavior a bit deeper but that would have to be discussed first.Added to the master branch. launcher plugin has a fix for a bug introduce/uncovered by the change #1.added to the master branch.
- sytray plugin has been adapted to 4.9+ panels. Its layout has been reworked more deeply in order to support non-square icons in the deskbar mode. All the icons are now placed in a square grid, which simplifies the code a lot and removes some long-standing bugs (like occasional infinite looping).
- pager plugin has been adapted to 4.9+ panels.
Currently, libwnck pager does not support the deskbar mode (horizontal pager orientation in a vertical panel), which produces an incorrect pager aspect ratio. The problem has been reported upstream and will be fixed in the 2.31.0 libwnck release. The pager plugin checks if the new API is available before enabling this fix.Added to the master branch.
- TODO: Preferably, setting the number of workspace rows should be done in the workspace settings dialog, not in the pager plugin options. This change has been postponed to future releases (it requires libwnck changes).
Changes to other (non-core) plugins:
- orage – patch: https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8351
- xfce4-mixer – patch: https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8350
- thunar (trash can plugin) – https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8391
xfce4-dict – patch: https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8502DONE
- xfce4-battery-plugin – patch: https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8393
xfce4-calculator-plugin– incompatible by design (text entry is always horizontal)
- xfce4-cellmodem-plugin – couldn't compile
xfce4-clipman-plugin – patch: https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8403DONE
- xfce4-cpufreq-plugin – patch: https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8396
- xfce4-cpugraph-plugin – patch: https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8400 (compatible but has a bug showing up during panel mode switching)
- xfce4-datetime-plugin – patch: https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8355
- xfce4-diskperf-plugin –patch: https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8401
xfce4-embed-plugin – patch: https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8402DONE
- xfce4-eyes-plugin – patch: https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8404 (compatible but has a bug showing up during panel mode switching)
xfce4-generic-slider – patch: https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8503DONE
- xfce4-indicator-plugin – patch (partial): https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8570
xfce4-screenshooter-plugin – http://git.xfce.org/apps/xfce4-screenshooter/commit/?id=5620dbdd96a35f78477f924b281fc645511ff5b4DONE
xfce4-verve-plugin– incompatible by design (text entry is always horizontal)
- xfce4-weather-plugin – patch: https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8560
xfce4-xfapplet-plugin– can't be fixed, plugin orientation hardcoded in underlying gnome applets
- DID I MISS ANY PLUGINS???