Schedule for and Status of the Xfce 4.10 Development Cycle
This schedule is preliminary and not to be considered final.
Read the Xfce Release Model to understand why this cycle is the way it is.
|Dates||Phase/Deadline||Everyone's Tasks||Release Team Tasks||Maintainer Tasks|
|2011-01-17 - 2011-01-31||Planning Phase||Elect the release team, discuss dependencies||Make a realistic list of planned features|
|2011-02-01 - 2011-02-13||Extended Planning Phase||May request dependency changes|
|2011-02-13||Dependency Freeze||Update dependency info, inform community about the decisions made (dependencies, unguaranteed feature preview)|
|2011-02-13 - 2012-04-01||Development Phase||Support Xfce||Supervise development, remind people of deadlines||Hacking|
|2012-04-01 - 2012-04-28||Release Phase||Wait patiently||Perform releases, remind people of deadlines||Perform releases of own components if desired|
|2012-04-01||Xfce 4.10pre1 (Feature Freeze + Soft String Freeze)||Prepare release announcements, release Xfce 4.10pre1||Make sure the latest development release is in good shape and uploaded. Try to avoid making string changes since this release will most likely skip pre3!|
|2012-04-14||Xfce 4.10pre2 (String + Code Freeze)||Prepare release announcements, release Xfce 4.10pre2||Make sure that strings in the latest development release or in master are good|
|2012-04-28 or 1 week later||Xfce 4.10 (Final Release)||Celebrate||Prepare release announcements, release Xfce 4.10, branch for stable release, merge ELS branches into master||Make sure to upload a new release of own components before this deadline|
|Release Manager||Nick Schermer|
|QA Official||Jannis Pohlmann|
|Release Assistant||Jérôme Guelfucci|
|Release Assistant||Yves-Alexis Perez|
|Release Assistant||Jannis Pohlmann|
People can still apply for those positions.
Dependencies (Fixed After 2011-01-25)
- gtk+-2.0 >= 2.20 1)
- Same version for gdk-pixbuf-2.0 and gdk-2.0.
- glib-2.0 >= 2.24 2)
- Same version for gmodule-2.0, gobject-2.0, gthread-2.0 and gio-2.0
- cairo >= 1.6 3)
- dbus-glib-1 >= 0.84 4)
- dbus-1 >= 1.1
- libwnck-1.0 >= 2.30 5)
- upower >= 0.9.0 for Xfce4-power-manager.
- consolekit (through DBus in xfce4-session).
Roadmap / Planned Features
About Gtk+ 3.0 and compilation with GSEAL
As discussed on the xfce4-dev mailing list; Xfce 4.10 will depend on Gtk+ 2.20 and won't be ported to Gtk+ 3.0 until after the 4.10 release. Reason for this is that both Gtk+ 3.0 is not fully stable when 4.10 entered the development stage and because in 4.8 the porting to GIO/libxfce4ui/polkit/consolekit took more time then expected, so this this release is all about polishing and focus on what matters to users.
This means it is not required to support compilation with GSEAL; simply because the public functions are not complete in Gtk+ 2.20 and not required 6) to make Xfce work with newer Gtk+ 2 versions.
Features that Affect the Entire Xfce Core
Please don't take the features listed on these pages as obligatory. Keep in mind that they may or may not make it into the 4.10 release, depending on the time the individual developers have.
New modules in core. This was decided because the modules reduce the complexity in Xfce (Xfpm) or are common for a fully functional desktop (Tumbler and Volman). Garcon should've been in 4.8 core, if not only to avoid confusion users currently have.
Changes in Dependencies
- Libxfce4util soname changed.
- Garcon has a new libxfce4util dependency. 69884
- Exo has a new libxfce4ui dependency. a8c1b
- Libxfce4util only depends on glib (was gobject). 09e3bc
- Xfce-utils is not needed anymore. Functionality has been moved in xfce4-session, libxfce4ui, xfce-docs or removed. See xfce-utils roadmap page for the details.
- Xfce4-session does not (optionally) depend on xfce4-panel anymore. The plugin has been integrated with the actions xfce4-panel plugin. 539589
- Xfce4-session does not check for consolekit, hal, upower and polkit. It has soft dependencies on consolekit and upower (communication over DBus).
- Xfce4-session does not optionally depend on gconf anymore. f483ee.