How to add a shortcut for opening a directory from a panel
- Right-click on the panel where you want to add the shortcut. This opens a menu for managing the panel.
- Choose “Add New Items…”. This opens a window where you can choose the type of the item you want to add to the panel.
- Double-click on “Launcher”. This selects the item type “Launcher”; it is used to simply launch any program, using a command line.
- Right-click on your newly created launcher and select “Properties”
- Under “General”, click “Add a new empty item”
- Type a name for your shortcut
- In the “Command” field, type the command to open the desired directory with your file manager; e.g. “thunar /home/user123/desired-directory”. You may want to test the command first in a terminal.
- Fill in any other desired fields, such as adding a comment and icon
- Click “Create”
A new icon should have appeared in the selected panel; when you click on it, the command you typed is executed.