Xfce runs on over 90 UNIX-like distributions. Below is a short list of the distributions that use Xfce as their primary, default Desktop Environment(DE) as well as their minimum system requirements for installation.
Xubuntu is a community‑developed, Ubuntu‑based Linux operating system. Its minimum requirements are:
- CPU: 500Mhz+
- RAM: 256MiB+ for Desktop/LiveCD - 512MiB recommended
- Hard drive space: 5GB
- Graphics card and monitor capable of 800×600 resolution
Kwort is a slackware-based operating system featuring the Xfce4 desktop with Kwort's own Network Manager and kpkg package manager. Its minimum requirements are:
- CPU: PC i686 or above.
- RAM: 16MB for base system (minimum). 32MB for desktop (minimum), 64MB recommended.
- Hard drive space: 200MB for base system, 1.5GB for full desktop (Openoffice 2.0 included)
Luit Linux (which uses Xfce)
Luit Linux “is a small bootable live CD distribution based on KNOPPIX and DamnSmall Linux. Mission is to make a small compact live distribution with tools and applications for day to day needs, without compromising on its looks and feel and ease of use.” Its minimum requirements are:
- CPU: Intel Pentium I
- RAM: 32 Mb
Mythbuntu is “an official Ubuntu flavor focused upon setting up a standalone MythTV based PVR system.Mythbuntu uses the XFCE desktop. All unnecessary standard Ubuntu applications such as LibreOffice, Evolution, and a full Gnome desktop are not installed in a default Mythbuntu install” Its minimum requirements are:
- CPU: 1.0 GHz x86 or x86_64 Processor
- RAM: 512 MB of system memory (RAM)
- Hard drive space: 2 GB of disk space (Frontend Role) / 10GB + 1.5GB/hour for storage of SD material (Backend Role)
- Graphics card capable of 1024×768 resolution (if using VDPAU, 256MB minimum)
- Supported TV Tuner Card (Backend Role)
The following memory footprint test was obtained on an OpenSuse 11.4 notebook and this script.
- Runlevel 3 : 33 MiB
- Login screen with kdm4 (and no opened session) : 115 MiB
- TWM session : 80 MiB
- IceWM session : 83 MiB
- Xfce 4.8 session : 133 MiB
- KDE 4.6.0 : 280 MiB