Videos for Xfce 4.6
I (Jannis) am planning on a series of videos to present Xfce 4.6 to users and developers. Here's what I came up with a few sleepless nights ago. The idea I have is to show two videos per week starting with the first release candidate, one user video and one developer video.
If you have more ideas, please let me know. You can leave comments in the comments section at the bottom of this page. Thanks!
1. The first login
- Briefly present main components and applications shipped with Xfce 4.6.
- Explain what's been removed and what's new.
2. Customizing the panel
- Explain how to create and modify panels.
- Show how to add new items (e.g. launchers with xfce4-appfinder).
- Show goodies website and add some of the goodies to a panel.
3. The settings in detail
- Go through all the settings dialogs and explain how the options affect the behaviour or look of Xfce.
- Demonstrate some of the options while explaining them.
4. Three ways to access the settings
- Via xfce4-settings-manager
- Via xfconf-query
- Via xfce4-settings-editor
5. The menu
- Explain how to customize the menu (in the ways supported by libxfce4menu).
- Short presentation:
- What's new?
- What has been removed?
- Which components/libraries are especially made for developers.
2. Xfconf Part I: The libary
- Tutorial on how to use xfconf in a new application.
3. Xfconf Part II: xfconf-query
- Tutorial on how to use xfconf-query to alter the settings:
- Example application: Bash script to change the backdrop periodically.
- Tutorial on how to list all applications available in Xfce.
- Explain how filesystem monitoring works.
- Explain how menu layouts work.
5. Third party features
- Tutorial on how to write and embed a third party settings dialog into xfce4-settings manager (interesting for distributions).
- maybe write a little howto on how to make those videos (which soft, how to have sound, stuff like that)
- Sounds good, but with recordMyDesktop there's not much to write a tutorial about. It just works. — Jannis Pohlmann 2008/10/12 17:56